Thursday, June 10, 2010

Out of Doors

So, I have quite a bit of free time to think when I am on the bike.  This is particularly true since I have a hell of a time keeping up with the rest of the riders when we are riding in a group.  

There is an unbelievable sense of freedom you have when you are taking something like this ride on.  I am sitting there on this bike, seeing, smelling, tasting, and living fully.  Sometimes it’s exciting, sometimes it’s not as exciting, but it’s always an adventure, always just a little out of my control; it’s life, out loud and in full color.  It’s not dimmed by glare resistant glass, screens, or other false faces.

Go outside soon and often.  Seriously, if you can, go outside right now if you can.  I would rather you do that than read this post.  Honestly, there isn’t anything in the next lines that you can’t read on the face of a mountain, in a river, or just in your backyard. 

Breathe deeply of the fresh air, turn your face to the sun, whatever.  The point is to be out of doors.  Rediscover wilderness, pastoral landscapes, and sinuous country lanes.  And, when you feel that you are ready, climb something high – not ridiculously high or dangerous, just high enough to put the world in the proper perspective.  Climb it with your own power though, by foot or pedal, but definitely on your own steam.  When you look down on the world, notice how small it is, how insignificant.  Now you have perspective, now you see your link in the chain. 

Get out there and be a part of the world.  Let it permeate you, rejuvenate you.  I think you will find that you will like it.  You may even love it.  I know I do.  

1 comment: