Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Appalachia

Today we left the Appalachian mountains behind.  In total, Eastern Kentucky may not have been the prettiest or most welcoming of places, I was reminded of an important point - one must live in the moment. Yesterday, was a very hard ride through the heat and rolling hills of Eastern Kentucky.  I won't pull any punches - the day was pretty miserable, a little bit of rain, but not enough to cool the day off.  Lots of mileage over fairly steep hills with traffic and crappy pavement throughout it all.  The trick is to not let such things ruin an otherwise perfect experience.  I was lucky enough to be reminded of this point part of the way through the day.  I was riding with Pepper, our friend from Damascus, ailing after a hill climb, when he says that he needs to stop to change out his tube.  He said that I could go on if I like, but I was in  no hurry to keep on moving after the hill.  We stopped on a small road off the highway, in front of a one-room church, a "Regular Baptist" church.  As near as I can tell, a regular baptist eats fiber frequently.

While sitting there in front of this tiny church in the sweltering afternoon heat of Eastern Kentucky something wonderful happened.  A song floated out the open doors of the church through the thick air.  It was "Amazing Grace", and how sweet the sound.  There we were alone in the wilds of Kentucky, and in a perfect "Appalachian" voice (think oh brother where art thou) one of the more powerful songs written was our treat for a difficult day and even more difficult conditions.  I am trying to figure out how to post the video of this, but I have been unsuccessful thus far - apparently, my camera is  too advanced for the blog. Go figure.  If I do not get this video up, ask me to show it to you the next time I see you.

I feel very blessed for having had the chance to be witness to this scene.  We came into Kentucky with a cloud hanging over our heads, but even though it was not as nice as Virginia, if I had hurried through, kept my head down, kept my heart and mind closed, then I would never have heard that song, on this day, in the most impossible of places.  Miracles happen all over the place every day - you just aren't looking close enough, or you ask too much or your miracles.  I like to say that I learn something new every day, but I often forget those thoughts with time.  This trip has been great for reminding me that this world can always amaze you, just keep your eyes peeled for it.

So, it is with irony, that I leave the Appalachians with a certain amount of nostalgia, despite the snarling dogs, coal trucks, and decrepit pavement.



"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.


Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.


When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,   
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having a phenomenal experience! Your entries are wonderful reminders to embrace what is important in life and not to forget the gifts that Mother Nature has given us.

    ReplyDelete